My reading habits

 


https://cdn.pixabay.com/photo/2016/08/03/20/10/reading-1567669_1280.jpg

As I have a look at the pictures, and see people’s faces, I could guess they are reading something that is as exciting for them, that makes them, at times, get away from the real world. Reading may help their minds fly away from their reality, or travel to places where they would never be able to be, or imagine themselves experiencing something that they might not live in their entire life. In fact, there are images in which the person is reading in a place where the background seems not to interfere in their activity.


The image number two in which we could see a woman reading with a young girl reminds me of my youth, when my mum was teaching me to read in L1 during summer, as my real teacher had not devoted time to that during the school lesson. I remember that spending time with my mum was my best moment of the day, as I was the second out of three girls, and at that time, she could not spend so much time with me as when we were just two. So, any time I read in Spanish, it brings that memory to my mind. Nevertheless, I was sometimes forced to read books that now I realize were not appropriate for my age, and made me reject reading at times. 


However, regarding L2 reading, I have never had that nice sensation till I have been an adult. This is due to the fact that I was introduced to it by means of readers about topics that were not interesting for me. So, I even hated it. Thankfully, in the last years, I have come across some writers in L2 that have helped me discover how much I enjoy reading in English as a second language. 


In terms of the types of book, I am not able to read the same types of books on L1 than on L2. I guess my schema is not the same on my mother tongue than in the second language. Therefore, I am able to read historical and psychological books in Spanish, which I would not be able to read in English. 


Regarding the format, in the last few years, as in image number 3,I read much more through my e-book than on paper, as it is easier to carry everywhere. And, though it depends on the time of the year, I usually read at night. However, during summer, I have more free time to read at any time of the year. 

Comentarios